December 30, 2012
This is a good gift idea for couples this Xmas. Inspired by this on Pinterest, I adjusted it slightly. (Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of my own.)
Using colour-coded ice-cream sticks I picked up at the craft shop, I labeled them with different date night ideas.
Red = Home-based activities (including three purple XXX ideas)
Green = Outside, mostly free ideas (could mostly be done as a family)
Yellow = Some cost involved, even if only a baby-sitter.
I popped them in a jar. (Steve kindly cut them down for me so they would fit). Added a label, decorated the jar a bit and hey presto, neato couples Xmas present. A different activity for most weeks of the year. You could easily adapt this to only be activities for families.
Here are the various activities:
Red = Home-based activities:
- Chinese meal and a Chinese movie
- Discover a new (or old) TV series
- Mutual back massage
- French dinner and a French movie
- Play on online game together
- Make art only using items in the house
- Indian dinner and Bollywood movie
- Her choice – movie night
- His choice – movie night
- Spend an entire day in bed…reading
- Set up creative couples photo shoot
- Play board games
- Make and post a creative and cheesy Youtube video
Green = Outside-mostly free- activities
- Test-drive an expensive car
- Random acts of kindness – give away flowers to strangers
- People watch in a public place and make up a spy-story / post it online
- Picnic in the country
- Visit a local / small art gallery
- Random acts of kindness – wrap and leave presents for children to find
- Random acts of kindness – pay compliments to strangers
- Go crazy at a video arcade
- Go geocaching
- Spend the day at markets / garage sales
- Create a photo-scavenger hunt – bonus: base it on your favourite film or the 80’s
- Be a tourist in your own city
- Search for evidence of the invisible man
- Feed the birds
- Volunteer together for a good cause
- Make your own boats and race them on the river
Yellow = Some cost involved
- Go to the theatre or comedy club
- Find and join a pub quiz or organise one for your friends
- Go see a local band
- Find a jazz club
- Enter a competition together
- Find and attend a poetry night – bonus: write and read your own
- Visit a planetarium
- Dessert-only night out
- Appetizers-only night out
- Research the architecture in your local area and to on a tour
- Do a new sport together (driving range/archery/shooting)
- Take a cooking class together
- Go camping / cook foil dinner on a fire
- Go out for fancy cocktails / or investigate and discover different beer
- Couples massage at spa
December 30, 2012
If you’re stuck for DIY Xmas presents next year, there is a world of fun to be had with fleece hats! I followed this basic tutorial and added embellishments.
The internet (and Pinterest) is full of cool ideas for hats like this. It worked great a themed present for a family. This set of hats was a present for my aunt, uncle and cousins.
I have pinned a board of fleece hat ideas on Pinterest if you want some instant inspiration. You can find that board here.
December 7, 2012
Stumped for an easy gift to give loads of people?
I made these and they were so SO delicious.
Here is the recipe I followed. I actually almost forgot to add the water and it was getting late and I was all like; why ain’t this working? And then I remembered, facepalmed and added the water and it turned all gooey and amazing.
Once dry and cool, I packaged them by making a cone from a square piece of paper.
They were a huge hit!