Advent calendar/bowl

December 1, 2011

After extensive research* (i.e. google searches) I decided to make an advent calendar… of sorts. I imagine that over the years my technique will evolve but for this year I took the easy route and used empty toilet paper tubes, crepe paper and raffia to make this. Found a free printable online for the numbers and used my imaginary florist skills to ‘arrange’ them.

Making them was a little time consuming but probably finding the goodies for inside was the most tricky. In the future I’ll follow the suggestions of Dukes and Duchesses and add service tasks or experiences like a candle lit dinner or making cookies for a neighbour.

After all, ’tis the season to have the Xmas spirit and as a parent, I should probably start thinking about what I think the Xmas spirit is all about how we teach it to our kids.

* I found some wicked cool calendar ideas and have pinned them to this board and if you’re into that kind of thing you can have a look.

 

Advertisements

Forever Flowers

July 17, 2011

Latest craft project? Crepe-paper flowers that will last forever!

Saw this on Martha Stewart. The original post suggests making hair barrettes with them but I haven’t got that far yet.

Step 1 – I cut tear-shaped pieces of paper (3) and heart-shaped bits (12)

Step 2 – Then I wrapped the heart-shaped pieces around the tear-shaped ones until they roughly resemble a rose. (hint – you can roll the edges around pencils to make them curl)

Step 3 – I added smaller green bits for leaves

Step 4 – Using florist wire, I secured the rose and then attached it to a skewer.

Step 5 – I wrapped florist tape around the wire and skewer

They look great like this and I also made a snowdrop after seeing this photo.

I then got some resin from Bunnings. Specifically called Kleer Kast (liquid diamond embedding resin). Following the directions I mixed it in a tin can and slowly dipped the flowers in the resin

I stood them up in a cardboard box and let them dry over night. The resin in the tin reacted quickly and 20 minutes later I couldn’t use it. I had made another batch of flowers but they’ll have to wait for next time.

I’ll be applying a second coat but this is what they look like already.